Most people today, especially women, spend lots of time and money on products, serums, procedures, books, advice, etc. to achieve eternal youth and beauty. We live in a society where looking and feeling young, beautiful and fit are highly coveted and worshipped. Add on the pressure from the media who are great at adding to this pressure as they symbolize what a healthy beautiful person looks like with models and actresses. Looking like a Kardashian or Victoria Secret model isn’t the most realistic goal and no way to compare oneself to, unless you really want to look like one and are willing to put in the work, money and hours…then Hey! Go for it!
Add in the flood of baby boomers striving to lock in their youth. One of the most coveted beauty ideals is to keep our skin young, tight, clear and beautiful. Its a hot beauty trend that has caused the plastic surgery industry to boom. According to Lifeterminsurance.org, in 2011 the industry totaled over $80 billion. In 2015 it is expected to climb to $115 billion! Clearly, Americans are willing to shell out a lot of money to look younger. Unfortunately, most of the products from stores have been shown to be ineffective, especially given the high prices.
In addition, these products are loaded with toxic chemicals that can break down collagen bonds and disrupt your endocrine system which leads to hormonal imbalances. Hormonal imbalances = bad skin. Procedures on the other hand are proven to be more effective, as proven by the statistics that in 2011 and 2012, Botox sales were $5.3 million, $5.7 million respectively, and is predicted to close at $1.94 billion in 2013! Clearly, America hates wrinkles! No wonder younger generations are afraid to age.
While Botox proves to be temporarily effective, it is expensive (between $300-$500) each time, is toxic, and lasts about 3-4 months which is bad news to those who cannot afford to be a repeat customer. The good news is that Mother Nature creates some fantastic products that when used internally and externally, can reverse aging, smooth out fine lines, and even out skin tone. In a nutshell, healthy youthful skin is all about prevention. Don’t wait for lines or dull skin to happen, be proactive! I would like to add that I have nothing against Botox or those who use it and completely understand why people get use it, this is simply to holistically inform those looking to naturally achieve beautiful skin. In this three part series, I share what you can put ON your skin, do to your skin, and consume to achieve naturally smooth, beautiful skin. Let’s explore….
EXTERNAL BEAUTY: WHAT TO PUT ON YOUR SKIN
Nix those toxic face washes, lotions and toners. They are doing more harm than good!
- IODIZED SEA SALT: This will slough off dead skin, clean pores, remove make-up, and brighten your skin while leaving behind minerals and ions that neutralize free radicals to prevent aging. Rinse your face with warm water and then gently rub 1 teaspoon of sea salt in circular motions on your face for 1 minute, then wash off. Do this every night. Cost: $1
- BENTONITE CLAY MASKS: This mask makes your skin RADIATE! Bentonite clay binds to toxins, oil, etc. in your pores and draws them out. It is powerful at clearing skin, zapping blackheads, evening skin tone and tightening pores, which will lead to a natural glow. In a non-metal bowl, mix one tablespoon of clay with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, mix well and lather all over your face. Leave on for at least 30 minutes and wash off with warm water. Do this 3x a week. Cost: $15
- LEMON JUICE AND APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: These two work as a great astringent that tone your skin, prevent blemishes, and deliver tons of vitamins and minerals. Nourishment prevents wrinkles. The acids neutralize oil and bacteria. Use a swab of either of these and rub onto skin every day before bed. You can use these interchangeably. Cost: 30 cents to $6.
- COCONUT OIL: Coconut oil is packed with vitamins, minerals, and other properties that nourish, soften, tone, and hydrate your skin. Dehydrated skin is a recipe for dry skin which leads to cracks, uneven skin tone and dull color. Hydrated skin is key for gorgeous skin!! HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE! Substitute this for your moisturizer and watch your skin change. Cost: $10
- BAKING SODA: While your face is wet, gently rub baking soda on your skin in circular motions. Baking soda is an excellent exfoliant, makes your skin glow, reduces age spots and wrinkles, and binds to dirt and bacteria to remove it. Your skin will look amazing!! Cost: $1
Incorporate these tricks into your beauty routine in lieu of chemical laden products and your life will change! All of these are under $15 so your skin and bank account will love you!!