What is Leaky Gut? Leaky gut syndrome is a condition we get when we consume unhealthy foods, drinks, etc. that after time, eventually permeate through the cells of our intestines and leaks into our blood stream. The cells in our intestines form very tight junctions with each other, and with time, these junctions can get separated, allowing things to slip through. Your body sees these particles as foreign invaders and begins to attack them, thereby causing food allergies and inflammation. These invaders are free to roam our blood streams and can go to our joints, muscles, bones, and in severe cases can pass our blood-brain barrier. Ahhh!! That is creepy to think about!!! So, after developing leaky gut, when the very foods we consumed that caused this “leakage” are consumed again, we develop an allergy and other unpleasant symptoms towards them.
What causes it? Excessive alcohol consumption, sugar, GMO’s, processed foods, Candida Albicans (yeast), stress, medications, not enough physical activity, lack of fiber in diet, and pretty much anything that’s unnatural.
What I find crazy about this is that it is the underlying factor behind so many conditions and so many people have this, but don’t know it and are diagnosed with allergies, weight gain that is VERY hard to lose, chronic fatigue, eczema, indigestion, IBS, headaches, joint pain, etc. So, to find out if you have it, observe your diet and lifestyle and pay close attention to how your body reacts after you consume something. If you instantly feel fatigued, achy, depressed, get rashes, or anything that’s not ideal, you may have leaky gut.
What to do?
- Eat clean foods like fresh fruits and vegetables. Leafy greens every day are a must!!
- Exercise every day, even if it’s just for 10 minutes in your living room. Gotta keep things moving and circulating!
- Drink fresh juices and lots of lemon water
- TAKE PRO-BIOTICS. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. These add good bacteria to your digestive tract and help fight off the bad guys
- Stretch abdomens daily. Yoga is great for this
- Spend 10 minutes a day taking deep breathes of fresh air
With correct diet, we can avoid so many common daily ailments and live better, healthier, happier, and more stress-free lives!!