What is MSM?
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is a type of naturally occurring sulfur found in all living beings. It helps to soften tissues in the body while also building strong connective tissue and helps to repair collagen. According to David Wolfe, a raw and superfood guru, “This is how MSM lives up to its reputation of building collagen and maintaining healthy joints. This is also why MSM increases flexibility (good for yoga), hastens recovery time from sore muscles, and is excellent for recovery from athletic injuries.”
MSM has numerous benefits and is vital for our every day functioning and well-being. It is the 3rd most abundant mineral in the human body, and a deficiency can have serious health benefits. It aids in repairing tissues and wounds, as well as being known for building up keratin and collagen, coining it the “beauty nutrient.”
BENEFITS OF MSM
- Makes hair grow faster, thicker, silkier and more lustrous
- Tightens skin and can reduce wrinkles when applied externally
- Makes nails grow faster and stronger
- Makes your skin glow. MSM aids in collagen in keratin production, making our elastic tissues much tighter and firmer. See ya, wrinkles!
- Relieves pain from arthritis. If you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis or stiff joints, stock up on MSM – you may be deficient
- Reduces inflammation. Dr. Stanley Jacob states that “Sulfur is found in over 150 compounds within the human body and that sulfur components are in every cell, so it is very important.”
- Rejuvenates the liver and helps deliver nutrient rich compounds to the skin
- Allows nutrients to permeate into tissues better
- Has important detoxing properties. Glutathione, an important antioxidant that is produced in our bodies cannot function correctly without sulfur present.
Where to get MSM?
MSM is abundant in leafy greens and meat. It can also be found in capsule form at your nearest health store. You can also empty the capsules into smoothies. Externally, I break open two capsules of MSM into some coconut oil and use it as a face mask. I leave it on for 30 minutes, 3X a week and this has dramatically tightened my skin. I highly recommend you get some MSM into your life!