Maca, the native root in Peru, has been around for over 3500 years and is becoming more recognized in the Americas for its super potent healing and nutritional properties. It has a slightly nutty flavor, and is in the same cruciferous family with radishes and cauliflower…so technically its a veggie. You can find Maca in powder and capsule form, and can be found at most health food stores and of course, the internet. An easy way to consume it is to toss a scoop in your smoothies and protein shakes after the gym for a nutty, healthy kick. Fun fact: During the Incan Empire, warriors would consume Maca before going to battle to increase strength and energy.
As far as nutrients go, here is why you should choose Maca for health and happiness…..
- It is abundant in B vitamins, especially B-12 (a win for vegetarians)
- It is rich in sulfur, which is great for joint function and cellular health
- Abundant in calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, selenium, and much more
- Has 20 amino acids (body builders – add this to your protein shakes!)
- Is rich in antioxidants to help fight cancer and slow down aging
The physical and mental benefits of why you should consume Maca for health and happiness include…
- Balances Endocrine System: Maca is a fantastic remedy for balancing hormones. It has adaptogens which regulate hormones, promoting homeostatic balance. It stimulates your hypothalamus and pituitary gland (aka. our Master Gland) and keeps them nourished and functioning. If your hormones are out whack, you will most likely feel tired, get cold/hot easily, have acne, have brittle hair, feel depressed and moody, poor memory, etc.
- Increases fertility and stamina: Not only did the Incans use it to gain strength during war, they also had to abstain from using it afterwards because their increased stamina was causing them to hit on women too much. Yikes. It has been proven to increase fertility, making your terrain healthier. Fun fact #2: (saying this as modestly as possible) Maca is known as “Natures Viagra.” Hmmm
- It regulates and alleviates symptoms of PMS, menopause, and irregular cycles.
- Nicer skin, hair and nails. Maca is rich in sulfur, which is known to make your skin beautiful while making hair and nails grow faster and stronger.
- Stress and weight management. This superfood nourishes your adrenals, keeping cortisol levels in check. Cortisol is a stress hormone that makes your adrenals release in response to physical, mental, and edible stress. Cortisol preps your body for a stressful situations and causes you to retain fat in preparation of starvation.
- Thyroid support and more weight management. Our thyroids regulate metabolism and act as our body’s thermostat, and when out of balance can wreck havoc on your metabolism. Maca to the rescue!
If you could use an extra boost, I highly recommend Maca for health and happiness.