October 2013 archive
Maca, the native root in Peru, has been around for over 3500 years and is becoming more recognized in the Americas for its super potent healing and nutritional properties. It has a slightly nutty flavor, and is in the same cruciferous family with radishes and cauliflower…so technically its a veggie. You can find Maca in powder and capsule form, and can be found at most health food stores and of course, the internet. An easy way to consume it is to toss a scoop in your smoothies and protein shakes after the gym for a nutty, healthy kick. Fun fact: During the Incan Empire, warriors would consume Maca before going to battle to increase strength and energy.
As far as nutrients go, here is why you should choose Maca for health and happiness…..
- It is abundant in B vitamins, especially B-12 (a win for vegetarians)
- It is rich in sulfur, which is great for joint function and cellular health
- Abundant in calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, selenium, and much more
- Has 20 amino acids (body builders – add this to your protein shakes!)
- Is rich in antioxidants to help fight cancer and slow down aging
The physical and mental benefits of why you should consume Maca for health and happiness include…
- Balances Endocrine System: Maca is a fantastic remedy for balancing hormones. It has adaptogens which regulate hormones, promoting homeostatic balance. It stimulates your hypothalamus and pituitary gland (aka. our Master Gland) and keeps them nourished and functioning. If your hormones are out whack, you will most likely feel tired, get cold/hot easily, have acne, have brittle hair, feel depressed and moody, poor memory, etc.
- Increases fertility and stamina: Not only did the Incans use it to gain strength during war, they also had to abstain from using it afterwards because their increased stamina was causing them to hit on women too much. Yikes. It has been proven to increase fertility, making your terrain healthier. Fun fact #2: (saying this as modestly as possible) Maca is known as “Natures Viagra.” Hmmm
- It regulates and alleviates symptoms of PMS, menopause, and irregular cycles.
- Nicer skin, hair and nails. Maca is rich in sulfur, which is known to make your skin beautiful while making hair and nails grow faster and stronger.
- Stress and weight management. This superfood nourishes your adrenals, keeping cortisol levels in check. Cortisol is a stress hormone that makes your adrenals release in response to physical, mental, and edible stress. Cortisol preps your body for a stressful situations and causes you to retain fat in preparation of starvation.
- Thyroid support and more weight management. Our thyroids regulate metabolism and act as our body’s thermostat, and when out of balance can wreck havoc on your metabolism. Maca to the rescue!
If you could use an extra boost, I highly recommend Maca for health and happiness.
Unsupported jpeg image (with marker: FFE2). [/home/skylarm/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/turmeric2.jpg]
Doesn’t this pic make you want to sip a tropical drink on an island? This pic is a delicious drink I had in Bali that was made out of turmeric, ginger, and honey. And it was divine!
Turmeric is a very powerful herb, and its main component, Curcumin, is a very powerful compound that does wonders to your health. Its uses are known and used worldwide, especially in India in Ayurvedic and holistic nutrition. It even dates as far back as 1280 AD! Thankfully, its reign lives on.
Lets explore what Turmeric can do for you, shall we?
-Reduce rates of cancer
-Is 8X more potent than Vitamin E, great for healthy skin and antioxidant use
-Fights free radicals that can damage DNA, cells, and increase tumor growths
-Gives you beautiful skin, hair and nails
-Gives you energy
-Healthy for your joints and bones
-Reverses aging when used consistently (aging, by the way, is a common symptom of too many free radicals in your body)
-Engulfs the hydroxyl radical, a very potent oxidant that ages the body
…And many more!
You can consume turmeric in capsule form, root form or powder form. For powder form, sprinkle in salads, dishes, pizza, sandwiches, whatever you can think of! If you purchase the root, you can slice is finely and add it to hot water and let sit for 10 minutes to make tea. Add some honey and ginger to give it calming herbal taste.
Went to NYC this past weekend and came back feeling more alive than ever! Everything about it…. the crisp fall air, constant movement, seeing every walk of life possible, and plethora of shops, restaurants and coffee shops just instantly makes you feel so alive. While there, we ate at this fabulous restaurant in the Village by Washington Square Park called Quantum Leap with a huge choice of veggie burgers, veg dishes, as well as some fish. I had the “Fire Rock Burger,” and it was incredible. Check out a glimpse of their amazing menu….
The constant movement of people, taxis galore and tall buildings add so much energy…
First time going to Washington Square Park
Authentic Italian Coffee shops offering ALMOND MILK lattes??? Jackpot!
Back Bends in Central Park. Enough said.
Cartwheels keep you young! The trick is growing up without growing old.” – Casey Stengel
Random pictures painted on trees
And of course…some LOVE
Lavender is absolutely wonderful. It smells great, relaxes you, revitalizes you, cleanses you, has many homeopathic external uses, as well as putting you in a blissful trance.
Get your daily dose of lavender through candles, incense, and oils.
You can make hair masks, body lotions and serums, lip gloss, and much more. If you’re a nervous flier, bring some lavender oil on board with and inhale when you’re feeling any anxiety. Works like magic!
Another reason not to eat processed foods…you might be eating wood! Cellulose, a common ingredient in shredded cheese, waffles, syrup, fast food, and other items, is an ingredient derived from wood to give it strength, reduces breakage and gives food structure. That is disgusting! Imagine that in your body? No thanks. Also, its approved by FDA, as it is deemed “safe” for us to consume. Really? Wood….safe? Were not wood chucks…how is that safe for human consumption?! Craziness.
How to avoid eating wood? Check out this article on what companies use it.
Also, Food Babe has a funny video on it you might want to check out….
- Lemon water detoxifies your body
- Detoxes and tones your liver, helping it flush out toxins (a party animals savior)
- Helps relieve hangovers
- Serves as a diuretic and flushes water weight from your body. This is great for prepping for bikini season.
- It is a powerhouse of enzymes, vitamins and minerals that nourish your body BIG TIME!
- Keeps colds and the flu at bay
- Its numerous compounds facilitate digestion and helps you burn and metabolize fat
Did you know beets….
…have been proven to increase stamina in runners?
…detox your liver?
…boost brain health
…detox and build up your blood?
…give you beautiful skin, hair, and nails?
…improve eye health?
…instantly boost energy and make you feel more alive?
And so much more! Check out what Dr. Oz has to say about it here…
- ¼ cup expeller-pressed coconut oil
- ¼ cup shea butter…
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 10 drops essential oil of your choice, optional. Lavendar, rosemary, basil, etc. all smell wonderful in this.
Over medium-low heat, melt the coconut oil and shea butter together and whisk in the remaining ingredients until smooth and uniform. Cool slightly and whisk in the essential oil of your choice, if desired.Pour into a wide-mouthed container or a clean and empty deodorant container and smooth the top. Allow to cool in the fridge until solid before use. In the summer, store it in the fridge if your house stays so warm that the coconut oil won’t stay solid.
Most store-bought deodorant is loaded with toxic chemicals, such as aluminum (linked to alzheimers) and other chemicals linked to breast cancer and various diseases. SO, this DIY deodorant saves the bank and your health!!
Adding planks to your daily routine will give you beautiful abs, a tighter core, stronger lower back muscles, works all 4 muscles in your abs to give you lines and definition, increases upper body strength, and leaves you feeling amazing! Start with 3 sets of 30 seconds each, everyday. Then build your way up to 5 minutes and watch your body change and the fat melt off. Try some variations such as doing leg lifts while in plank positions. Plank jacks, side planks, and hip dips will tighten your abs up in no time as well. Start right now!
Our thyroid, aka the butterfly gland, is a very important gland located in our neck that releases hormones to regulate weight, metabolism, energy, hair growth, temperature, and much more. Over 25 million Americans have thyroid problems, and most don’t even know it! It’s super important to keep this gland (and the rest of our bodies) nourished, healthy, and active!
Symptoms of an overactive (hyperthyroidism) or underactive (hypothyroidism) thyroid include weight gain, inability to lose weight, fatigue after a full night of rest, lack of appetite, brain fog, poor concentration and memory, muscle and joint pain, cold hands and feet, mood swings, anxiety, depression, a puffy face, brittle hair that doesn’t grow and/or falls out easily, brittle nails, and tons more! These do not sound fun!!
What causes the thyroid to become unhealthy? Lack of iodine, lack of exercise, poor circulation (couch potatoes – GET UP!), processed foods, hormonal imbalances, some prescriptions, birth control, not enough fruits and veggies, and pretty much consuming anything that isn’t clean and whole.
Here are 5 things that’ll drastically improve your thyroid health, which overall improves your health and yes, you will see and feel a difference!
- Get some iodine in your diet. Your thyroid needs iodine to function optimally, so take supplements like spirulina (superfood!) and replace table salt with iodized sea salt.
- Limit caffeine intake. Your adrenals and thyroids work together so if one isn’t functioning properly, neither will the other. Caffeine is terrible for your adrenals, making them release the stress hormone cortisol, which causes your body to store fat. Giving up caffeine is very hard, so try to limit yourself to one cup a day, and then slowly decrease that until you can nix it. A great coffee substitute that will save your life is Yerba Mate, a tea-like drink that tastes like a cross between coffee and tea and gives you tons of energy.
- Yoga! Certain poses are amazing for your thyroid, such as the rabbit pose, plow pose, one-legged forward bend, fish pose, and cat/cow pose. If you’re not sure what these are, they’re just a Google search away! Also, as you do these poses, remember to breathe in and out through your nose, take your time, and imagine those poses doing their magic on your thyoid…and body!
- AVOID SOY LIKE THE PLAGUE!
- Avoid cruciferous veggies like broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower. Research is still new, but studies are finding thyroid disruptions after consumption of these.
Even if your thyroid is healthy, you can still do these every day to improve your overall health. Namaste